January 19, 2010

Adventure #2 - Life Happens Part One



If you've never waited in the ICU waiting room for someone you love, it's not an experience you want to have. Thanks to my oldest son, this isn't my first rodeo,
but here I am writing this blog from the family room of Wadley Hospital in Texarkana. I'm not sure if the hospital is located on the Texas or Arkansas side although based on what I've seen come through here, I might be inclined to go with Arkansas.
Some of you are reading my midlife adventures, and you know that I have committed to following the road less traveled in 2010, but this is a detour I hadn't planned on taking. I never thought that I would fly to St. Louis, Missouri to bury my uncle and end up in Texarkana at my father's bedside thanking God for sparing his life. The whole experience has served as a poignant reminder of how fragile life can be and how important my family is to me.
I'll be posting this adventure in a few blogs. I don't want you to miss any part of it. This is how it begins...

My sister and I arrive at the airport and try to make the most of our time together despite the grave circumstances of Uncle Leonard's untimely death. After checking in, we hit Starbucks for a caffeine fix and buy some magazines and gum from one of the kiosks.

As we sit watching other passengers come and go, my sister pulls out a monstrous gallon baggie holding all sorts of makeup and toiletries. I ask, "What is that?" even though I know the answer before she has the chance to speak. (I specifically reminded her to pack according to airport security regulations before the trip) I tell her she is going to be cavity searched at which comment we both sort of laugh out loud. I promise to take pictures, and I know right then that it's going to be a trip to remember.

Sister needs a smoke before we pass through security, so I wait checking out the latest issue of Food and Wine while she walks outside for a quick puff. Once she returns, we head toward security. I don't dare ask what she did with the cigarette lighter.

I obviously overestimated the security at Houston Intercontinental Airport. We pass through the metal detectors and my sister's bag rolls unsuspected through the x-ray cameras. I am furious that her luxurious supply of makeup and lotions has made it past security when I sacrificed countless beauty essentials in my own packing. And to top that off, her cigarette lighter went through undetected as well. Now I understand how the latest terrorist attack was possible.

We board the plane, which is smaller than I expected. Our seats are located at the back and by the time we get there, most of the overhead storage is taken. I make several attempts to get my carry-on situated when the flight attendant approaches me and tells me I’ll have to check my bag.
Flashback to the movie “Meet the Parents” where Ben Stiller plays a character named Greg aka Gaylord Focker. It goes something like this:




I finally locate an empty spot for my luggage several seats up. It takes a few good shoves to get my bag into the cramped space, but in the end I'm successful and don't have to check my bag. The plane lifts off, and we're on our way. Next stop...Chicago for an hour layover and plane change.Look for part two of Adventure #2 - Life Happens!

No comments:

Post a Comment