January 8, 2010

2010 Adventure #1 Psychic Reading

Adventure #1 Tarot Card Reading

When I decided that my first adventure of 2010 would be a tarot card reading, my friends gave me that are-you-kidding look.
 One colleague offered to pray for me, which I greatly appreciated, and two of my son's friends begged to go along for the ride. You can accuse me of having gone middle-aged crazy, but what's the harm in having as much fun and excitement as a girl can. It sure beats sitting around wondering where life will take you. 


After I got the nerve to make the appointment with Leeanna the Psychic, I immediately called my sister. I wanted to find out if she thought our mother, God rest her soul, would come back and haunt me if I did this. Growing up, we were raised in a Christian home and as the granddaughters of a Southern Baptist minister, we were God-fearing children. Idols of any type were forbidden. I remember once we brought home a Ouija board. Needless to say, it was not well-received. I do remember finding the board in my mother's bottom dresser drawer some time later. The fact that she kept it instead of throwing it away always puzzled me. 


So with three teenagers in tow and a $20 dollar bill in my pocket, we drove to Liberty, Texas, on Highway 90. Just as we arrived in town about one or two red lights down, I spotted a very small trailer with a yellow stenciled sign that read "Mystic Shadow Insight...Psychic Readings". I wasn't sure what I expected, but this certainly wasn't it. 


I'll admit I was a little skeptical and apprehensive going into this adventure. I'm not sure why, but I didn't let that stop me. I put my best game face on and stepped onto the front porch deck cluttered with odds and ends like someone had moved and forgotten to take the rest of their stuff when they left. The glass door was slightly ajar, and I wasn't sure if I was supposed to knock or if she already knew it was me. So, I sort of half-knocked, half-opened the door and said, "hello."


I walked in and was surprised to see a rather plain woman in her thirties sitting cross-legged on a twin bed. Next to her sat a small table covered with a black cloth with gold sun designs. The room smelled of day-old cigarettes and the walls were covered with shelves on one side. There were books of magic and Merlin and wizard figurines scattered here and there, and jars of snake skins and an assortment of candles sat on the shelves. The most fascinating piece of decor, though, was the miniature broom mounted on the wall underneath a shelf with a black chalice. 


I think I said a small prayer at that point and then sat down in the chair in front of her table. Leanna pulled out her deck of cards. There was nothing special at all about them. After we agreed upon the price of the reading, she fanned the cards onto the table in a semi-circle. There was some shuffling of cards of my part, stacking them up, and then she asked me to think on three questions I wanted answered while I moved my hand over the cards. If I felt a certain pull or magnetism on one particular card, I was to pull that card.


So, I moved my hand over the cards. I don't know if I felt anything magical or mystical, but I decided on a card and pulled it out. What happened after that is rather unbelievable. She layed out the cards in various positions and told me how each card related to an area of my life - in particular, one for which I had posed a question. And, she hit the mark. 



Let me point out that I didn't do this because I really thought she could predict my future. In fact, she told me that the cards simply point to different aspect of a person's life to help them guide their decisions. It is up to the participant to interact with the cards.


In all, my first adventure of the new year was fascinating! If anything, Leeanna validated some notions I had. No one really knows what the future holds. One thing's for certain...I'll be writing about a new adventure each week. Stay tuned...

No comments:

Post a Comment