December 25, 2009

Tales of a Shopping Cart

I'm writing this blog on the back of my dental receipt from this morning's root canal while standing in line at Walmart. I know...what was I thinking when I pulled into the more-crowded-than-usual parking lot. Probably the same thing I was thinking when I drove into the lot of the dentist office this morning - RUN for your life.
But, I didn't in either case.

I told myself I only had a couple of items to pick up. Two roasted chickens, some white corn, and a package of great northern beans for my Christmas Eve white girl, white chicken chili. When I tell you that the pickins were slim in the store, I'm not kidding. The shelves on some aisles were bare, and for a fleeting moment I felt as though a natural disaster was imminent and people were stock piling supplies. So much for finding a can of chicken broth.


I'm standing here looking into my basket and surveying exactly what I was able to find and trying to decide if a trip to my local nifty Thriftee grocery store will be necessary. Coconut for the traditional Hello Dollys, but I still need a package of graham cracker crumbs to finish off the ingredients. What started out as a small list seems to have grown a bit. How did those vanilla creme puffs and mini chocolate eclairs get in there? Besides the white chicken chili, I'll be making some snacks, so I include a bag of pretzels and package of Rolos candies. I was introduced to these delicious chocolately, yet salty treats by a student who brought me a package of the homemade goodies as a Christmas gift. Thanks, David.

I'm still standing in line - a surprise, right? So, I browse the magazines on the rack and people watch. I do a quick self-check to make sure I'm not a candidate for the famous "People of Walmart" photo emails we have all received. Other than a lack of makeup, I think I'm in the clear.I recognize a few people which isn't surprising since I'm in the hub of the greater Baytown area. One young man who is a former student from seventh grade English class greets me. He's about thirty-five now and is last-minute shopping with his family. Even after more than a decade or so, he still has the same familiar smile.

The longer I stand here in line, the more I realize that my tooth is beginning to throb a bit. I tap on it to reassure myself that it is indeed nerve and pain free, but it is still sensitive. Not to worry. I've got most of my prescription left from the last tooth incident. And, if that doesn't work, I'm certain an extra jigger of hooch in the egg nog will do the trick. This will probably be my last blog before Christmas. So let me take this opportunity to wish you a Merry Christmas and Happy New Year!

Here is the recipe for the chocolate pretzel Rolo treats:
1 package of pretzels (small size pretzels)
1 large package of loose Rolo chocolate covered caramel candies
1 package of pecan halves
Place parchment paper on a cookie sheet; lay out as many pretzels as you have Rolos. Unwrap Rolo candies and place one in the center of the pretzel. Place in a preheated 200 degree oven until the Rolo is melted (about five minutes). The shape won't melt down in appearance, so you will need to test the candy. Remove from oven and place one pecan half onto each chocolate. Place cookie sheet in fridge until the chocolate candy sets. Remove and package or serve.

No comments:

Post a Comment